Welcome! We at ARC created this page to provide you with information on the Debit Memo Working Group (DMWG).
The DMWG is comprised of a wide variety of travel agencies, airlines, system providers and other key industry partners including IATA, ATPCO and ASTA. This group of dedicated people is tackling critical debit memo issues.
What are the DMWG Goals?
To improve the efficiency of the debit memo process by:
- Reducing the volume of invalid memos and
- Tackling the most complex memo issues
What has been accomplished?
Since the DMWG first met on January 30, 2013 there have been a number of accomplishments! Here are a few highlights:
- Launch of Memo Analyzer, an online tool that provides insight into memos and ticketing data for agents, carriers and system providers. We continue to make enhancements with feedback from users.
- Establish standard debit memo reason codes. After manually (yes, you heard that right) reviewing over 44K memos to identify root causes, specifically for fare, tax, refund and exchange memos, the team determined the need to create standard debit memo reason codes. Please see the link under Useful Resources on this page to see the most recent version of the Debit Memo Standard Reason Codes.
- Grace period for Ticket Resolution Service (TRS) memos resulting in a win-win for travel agents and carriers. Travel agents saved $616K and airlines saw faster payments of TRS Debit Memos in 2015.
- VISA amends rules to help reduce credit card fraud by accept airline-supplied flight manifests as a remedy for fraud related credit card chargebacks.
What are priorities for 2016?
- Implement the standard debit memo reason codes for the highest volume airlines.
- Identify resource-demanding fare filing issues resulting in debit memos.
- Begin establishing industry standards around debit memo issuance, servicing and resolution.
Manager, Settlement Services